
Damongo, 18th May, 2026 – The Gonjaland Youth Association has rejected a directive issued by the Kintampo Municipal Security Council (MUSEC) concerning the collection of royalties from Gulumpe to Benkrom, describing the move as an overreach of authority. In a statement dated May 18, 2026, the Association said issues relating to land ownership, royalties, chieftaincy, and allodial title fall under the jurisdiction of the courts and recognized customary institutions, not MUSEC.
The group maintained that the land in question is under the authority of the Tuluwewura and ultimately the Yagbonwura.
The Association further noted that there are ongoing and previously determined court cases involving the Nkoranza Stool and the Yagbon Skins or its subdivisions over the disputed land. It warned that any attempt to determine royalty entitlements while legal proceedings are still pending could prejudice the judicial process.
Consequently, the Association has demanded the immediate withdrawal of the directive and called for the retraction to receive the same level of publicity as the original announcement. It also urged the public, especially the youth, to remain calm, peaceful, and law-abiding while legal and traditional processes continue.
Read the statement below.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
GONJALAND YOUTH ASSOCIATION REJECTS MUSEC DIRECTIVE ON GULUMPE ROYALTIES
18th May, 2026.
The leadership of the Gonjaland Youth Association wishes to bring to the attention of the general public that, following recent developments and public discussions surrounding the collection of royalties from Gulumpe to Benkrom, the Association has officially communicated its position to the Kintampo Municipal Assembly through a formal letter demanding the retraction of the directive issued under the authority of the Municipal Security Council (MUSEC).
The Association considers the said directive as an overreach of authority, since matters relating to land ownership, royalties, chieftaincy, and allodial title are issues that fall within the jurisdiction of the courts and recognized customary institutions, and not MUSEC.
The Association further states that the land in question, stretching from Gulumpe to Benkrom, falls within the jurisdiction of the Tuluwewura under the supervision and authority of the Yagbonwura.
Consequently, any unilateral directive seeking to determine entitlement to royalties without due regard to established customary authority and ongoing judicial processes is unacceptable.
The Association also notes that there are legal proceedings, including a determined case and another pending case involving the Nkoranza Stool and the Yagbon Skins or its subdivisions over the land in question. As such, any directive seeking to determine entitlement to royalties while these matters remain before the courts risks prejudicing ongoing judicial processes.
Consequently, the Gonjaland Youth Association has demanded the immediate and unconditional retraction of the said directive and requested that the retraction be circulated through the same media channels with equal prominence as the original publication.
The Association remains committed to peace, lawful engagement, and the protection of the dignity and traditional authority of the Gonja Kingdom. It therefore urges all youth and members of the public to remain calm, respectful, and law-abiding while the appropriate legal and traditional processes take their course.
Signed,
Mankir Ibn Malik
Public Relations Officer (P.R.O.)
Gonjaland Youth Association (GLYA)












